Most of Avery's updates and entries are written by her mother, Marissa.

Coordinating Transplant January 25, 2006

We have met with the transplant coordinator and turned in applications for Avery, Raul and myself.  UTMB is in the "finance approval" stage.  Prices of the transplant are being negotiated through the insurance.  We are crossing our fingers and praying for the approval so we can make the first step and be tested for a possible match to donate of our kidneys. 

This is very frustrating for me.  The Transplant Coordinator is going to end up not liking me at the end of all of this.  I'm always the one calling and having to follow up and check on the status and get an update.  I always have so many questions and want answers NOW.  I feel like I have to keep asking and asking to find out information.  For example, I asked about how long it takes for the finance to be approved.  She says, "well we are working on it the best we can and we'll do everything we can, it's in someone else’s hands".  So I'm like Ok so what is an estimate of how long this normally has taken with other patients. 

I'm not getting straight answers and that makes me very upset.   

January 16, 2006
Avery is doing really good.  She is gaining weight and growing.  She is so funny.  When we put her in the crib, she lifts the bumper and "peeks" out.  All you see is her little blue eye looking through the bars.  Avery also plays peek-a-boo.  She puts the blanket over her face and when I say "peek-a-boo" she takes the blanket off real fast and laughs.  I love it.  I do it with her all of the time.  Anyone who comes over has to see her do it.  She is our little rolly polly, she rolls all over the place and she is trying to sit up by herself.  Stay tuned for more updates.  God Bless you all.
Avery's Surgery December 29, 2005

Miss Avery is a trooper.  We were at the hospital at 6:00 am.  I didn't realize until we got there that she was having TWO hernia’s repaired. We met with Dr. Angel who performed her surgery. He was very nice and helpful with my endless questions. The surgery was going to take two hours so Raul and I sat in the waiting room right outside the main surgery doors. The doctor came out an hour and a half later and said everything was great and one of us can go in with her in the recovery room. As soon as I walked in I could hear my Little Avery crying. I walked up with her paci and a bottle so I could take care of her. They put Avery in my arms and she was screaming and crying. The nurse who was taking care of Avery didn’t say a word to me, he was too busy talking about downloading songs with another patient’s parent. I’m thinking, ok hello I’m here with a screaming baby can someone tell me what’s going on. As soon I’m getting very upset (like less than a minute later, lol) another nurse who was caring for patients across the room comes up to me and brings me a chair so I can sit down with Avery (as she’s crying). This nurse is the sweetest and most caring lady I think I have ever encountered. She begins to tell me that Avery’s doing fine and she’s not in pain. She said that when infants are waking up after surgery, they are trying open their eyes and be awake but they can’t. Infants are too little to understand what’s going on. All they know is that something is not feeling right because they can’t wake them selves up fully. The nurse just kept encouraging me and telling me everything is ok and that is very normal and most importantly Avery was not in pain. When your baby is screaming and crying and you have no idea how to stop it or what’s going on you feel so helpless and lost. If it wasn’t for this kind nurse who probably saw the tears rolling down my face and heard me talking to Avery she may not have came up to me. Nurses are so important and do so much to bring you peace. We have been blessed with amazing nurses who have come into Avery’s and our life. She kept coming back over to check on Avery and me. Finally, like she said that Avery eventually fell asleep and then woke up fine. She was in recovery for over an hour. Raul, my Dad and Dora sat in the waiting room. They wanted to come in and see her but I couldn’t leave my baby. Avery was able to leave the hospital at noon. She recovered fine and never seemed to be in pain or discomfort. Our Warrior Princess continues to be strong every step of the way!

December 27, 2005

We hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas Holiday.  Avery and Alexa enjoyed their Christmas and the great dinner we had at our home with most of our family. 

Avery has been sick off and on for the past month.  She has been vomiting (A LOT), running fevers and very congested.  It is awful to see her that way.  We went to many doctor's visits and no one knew what was wrong.  She maintained her weight for the past 6 weeks at 13.7.  Good news is that is doing a lot better and weighs 13.14 pounds today.

She is scheduled to have her surgery tomorrow to repair the hernia she has.  Please keep Avery and all of her doctors and surgeons in your prayers.

Gobble Gobble November 25, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!  We hope everyone had a blessed day.  We are so thankful for many things.  We had a wonderful day, we spent our Thanksgiving with the Gonzalez family.  Avery enjoyed the love and attention.  Alexa enjoyed playing and running around with her 9 cousins. 

Breaking News.... Avery is starting to hold her own bottle.  She is also trying to roll over.